Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to the game. If you haven't already created a character, what are you waiting for?
Steven Andrews

Presidential Nomination: Attorney General

Your question is inherently flawed Senator. It’s not my determination, it’s determination based on multiple studies. I guess it is my determination that $2+ trillion is a lot of money so in that case, I will not choose to bankrupt the nation.

Robert Powell (D-CO) - SmL

-Former Denver City Councilman & Colorado Secretary of State-

—————

Anthony Ludwig - The Political Corner

—————

John Alexander (DFL-MN) - Nominee for Attorney General

-Minnesota Attorney General-

Just now, Dogslife said:

Your question is inherently flawed Senator. It’s not my determination, it’s determination based on multiple studies. I guess it is my determination that $2+ trillion is a lot of money so in that case, I will not choose to bankrupt the nation.

It’s your determination that something other than the law should be done, no?

Tell me if my understanding is right: you will enforce the law prescribed by Congress and the Constitution unless you think you know better (based off of some external information)?

Sen. Grant Pinnacle, Majority Leader

Republican | ARKANSAS

Instagram | Press Office | Website

_____

Lt. Col. Bill Bloom

Former Candidate for U.S. Senate | COLORADO

Twitter | Press Office | Website

1 minute ago, Pinnacle said:

If the law says that all rapists should be imprisoned, but a liberal or a conservative or a libertarian or a green or whatever think-tank says that rapists are contributing members of society and will save Americans $100 trillion if left on the street, will you follow the law, or will you follow what you find most beneficial to society? Remember, Congress writes the law and the executive branch only enforces it.

Of course I would arrest them Senator. And once again this question is flawed because these immigrants aren’t all rapists, they are people who fled violence and poverty. 

I will choose what is best for America Senator, and I hope you would too 

—————

—————

Mr. Alexander,

I thank you for your time today. I will just say that what we have discussed so far, immigration and gun control, were litigated during this past election. It is my concern is the line of questioning isn't about qualifications, but rather ideology. So for those here that will stand only for an AG that is in bed with the NRA and draconian anti immigration practices, I hate to break it to you, you are not getting one. Elections have consequences. 

Like many of us living in a border state, the northern border, enjoy the ease of traveling to Canada and back. It has gotten more difficult now that we need a passport but it is still relatively easy. The opiod epidemic has led to a surge in illegal drug trafficking between the US and Canada. While the focus has been on our southern border, how can you fight drug trafficking while still making it relatively easy to travel to and from Canada?

Thank you

Camille Pronovost

D-MT

Mr. Alexander,

I’m gonna be completely honest with you because I do respect you being here and answering our tough questions.

As a former prosecutor myself, I can recall times when the provisions of the law conflicted with what I thought the law should’ve said. But, as a prosecutor, I understood that my job wasn’t to determine the law, but to enforce it...period.

When it became clear to me that I wanted to be in a position to choose what laws to put in place and which ones to get rid of, know what I did? I ran for Congress, because here is where policy decisions are made. Here is where it’s determined what’s best for the American people. Here is where laws are reviewed and modified based on social and economic analyses.

Thomas Paine wrote in 1776 that “...in absolute governments the King is law, so in free countries the law ought to be king; and there ought to be no other.” Unfortunately I will not be voting for your confirmation because you haven’t proven that you respect our system of Checks and Balances and the sovereignty of the law. I urge my colleagues to join me in rejecting your nomination 

• Like 1

Republican | ARKANSAS

_____

Lt. Col. Bill Bloom

4 minutes ago, KDD said:

Mr. Alexander,

I thank you for your time today. I will just say that what we have discussed so far, immigration and gun control, were litigated during this past election. It is my concern is the line of questioning isn't about qualifications, but rather ideology. So for those here that will stand only for an AG that is in bed with the NRA and draconian anti immigration practices, I hate to break it to you, you are not getting one. Elections have consequences. 

Like many of us living in a border state, the northern border, enjoy the ease of traveling to Canada and back. It has gotten more difficult now that we need a passport but it is still relatively easy. The opiod epidemic has led to a surge in illegal drug trafficking between the US and Canada. While the focus has been on our southern border, how can you fight drug trafficking while still making it relatively easy to travel to and from Canada?

Thank you

As attorney general I will make sure security is tightened. To do that I will give other federal officers outside of Customs and Border Protection, officers like US forest service and park rangers, training in combating drugs smuggling in their respective areas. I would also create a joint northern border drug task force consisting of members from multiple federal, state, and local agencies to stop the flow of drugs from our northern border. We will treat opioid smuggling just like we do heroin or marijuana smuggling. 

—————

—————

9 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Mr. Alexander,

I’m gonna be completely honest with you because I do respect you being here and answering our tough questions.

As a former prosecutor myself, I can recall times when the provisions of the law conflicted with what I thought the law should’ve said. But, as a prosecutor, I understood that my job wasn’t to determine the law, but to enforce it...period.

When it became clear to me that I wanted to be in a position to choose what laws to put in place and which ones to get rid of, know what I did? I ran for Congress, because here is where policy decisions are made. Here is where it’s determined what’s best for the American people. Here is where laws are reviewed and modified based on social and economic analyses.

Thomas Paine wrote in 1776 that “...in absolute governments the King is law, so in free countries the law ought to be king; and there ought to be no other.” Unfortunately I will not be voting for your confirmation because you haven’t proven that you respect our system of Checks and Balances and the sovereignty of the law. I urge my colleagues to join me in rejecting your nomination 

I'm sorry to hear you've already made up your mind, on pretenses about me which I know to be false, but I thank you for consideration.

Edited by Dogslife

—————

—————

Mr. Alexander, can you point me to where in the Constitution or laws of the United States it gives the Attorney General the power to decide which laws he will enforce and which he will ignore?

In the course of this hearing, you've made some very troubling remarks, sir. You've stated your view that the President can take it upon herself to determine whether a law is constitutional, and direct the Justice Department to decline to defend it based on her assessment, despite the implications for separation of powers. You've argued that the individual right to bear arms is "now" the law of the land, implying you believe that right came into existence only with the Heller decision and could just as easily be overturned, rather than acknowledging it as the plain meaning of the Second Amendment. Worst of all, you've argued that local governments can essentially set their own immigration policy, and that the federal executive branch can decline to enforce immigration law because you deem the rule of law impractical and inhumane. It would be dereliction of duty to my constituents, and total disregard for my oath of office, for me to vote in favor of your confirmation. I will be voting against your confirmation, sir, and I encourage my colleagues to do likewise.

In response to the arguments my colleagues across the aisle have been making both on the floor of this chamber and in the press, I will simply say that if you want to talk about qualifications, a nominee for Attorney General who has demonstrated total contempt for the rule of law is wholly unfit -- wholly unfit -- to be the official tasked with enforcing them. That is, in fact, a qualification of this office.

Edited by Brady
  • Like 1

Well thank you for listening to me. I think the things you say about me are frankly wrong and that they are unfair assessments of my position on all accounts, but regardless, thank you for hearing me. 

—————

—————

Thanks for being here, Mr. Alexander. I wish you the best in all your future endeavors.

Mr. President @Steven Andrews, I move for the consideration of Mr. John Alexander as Attorney General of the United States, and yield.

Edited by Pinnacle

Republican | ARKANSAS

_____

Lt. Col. Bill Bloom

Aye

—————