Welcome, Guest!

Sign In or Create my Account to gain full access to the game. If you haven't already created a character, what are you waiting for?
Steven Andrews

Presidential Nomination: Attorney General

Mr. Alexander @Dogslife, unless you have an opening statement I’d like to start with a question: what would be your top priority if confirmed as Attorney General?

Sen. Grant Pinnacle, Majority Leader

Republican | ARKANSAS

Instagram | Press Office | Website

_____

Lt. Col. Bill Bloom

Former Candidate for U.S. Senate | COLORADO

Twitter | Press Office | Website

Well that’s an easy one Senator. It would be to keep enforcing the laws and principles of this nation.

Robert Powell (D-CO) - SmL

-Former Denver City Councilman & Colorado Secretary of State-

—————

Anthony Ludwig - The Political Corner

—————

John Alexander (DFL-MN) - Nominee for Attorney General

-Minnesota Attorney General-

Mr. Alexander, Eric Holder, former AG under President Obama, described himself as Obama’s “wing man” in his capacity as ash. Do you think this is an accurate portrayal of the job of the Attorney-General?

Administrator

Lobbying, Midsession Schedules, and Scenarios

11 minutes ago, Dogslife said:

Well that’s an easy one Senator. It would be to keep enforcing the laws and principles of this nation.

Glad to hear it, sir.

How will you address America’s “sanctuary cities,” which reject cooperation with federal immigration law and permit the residence of illegal aliens?

Republican | ARKANSAS

_____

Lt. Col. Bill Bloom

20 minutes ago, SWMissourian said:

Mr. Alexander, Eric Holder, former AG under President Obama, described himself as Obama’s “wing man” in his capacity as ash. Do you think this is an accurate portrayal of the job of the Attorney-General?

I think there should be a certain degree of cooperation with the president. But at that same token I think there should also be a large degree of independence.

—————

—————

Is the individual right to keep and bear arms a fundamental right in your opinion? Do you agree with the Supreme Court’s decision in District of Columbia v Heller (2008)?

Edited by Pinnacle

Republican | ARKANSAS

_____

Lt. Col. Bill Bloom

12 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Glad to hear it, sir.

How will you address America’s “sanctuary cities,” which reject cooperation with federal immigration law and permit the residence of illegal aliens?

I think that this should be left up to local law enforcement agencies and local governments to decide. But that in no way means that I would surrender federal power on that issue.

—————

—————

1 hour ago, Pinnacle said:

Is the individual right to keep and bear arms a fundamental right in your opinion? Do you agree with the Supreme Court’s decision in District of Columbia v Heller (2008)?

Yes I believe, that with the Heller decision, it is now the law of the land that individuals have the right to bear arms unconnected to militia service. But with that I also still believe that there can still be regulations on firearms. I agree with the majority opinion in saying 

“Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.”

—————

—————

Mr. Alexander, thank you for being with us today. In 2011, President Obama directed the Justice Department to decline to defend the Defense of Marriage Act from litigation, and several years later both DOMA and state level same-sex marriage bans were overturned by the Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges. Do you believe it was appropriate for the President to issue such a directive to the Justice Department? Is that kind of directive something you would be comfortable with, were President Tillman to issue a similar directive?

32 minutes ago, Dogslife said:

I think that this should be left up to local law enforcement agencies and local governments to decide. But that in no way means that I would surrender federal power on that issue.

Please clarify how you would leave the enforcement of federal immigration law up to communities while not surrendering federal power. Do you find that there’s a misalignment between federal immigration policy and state/local sanctuary city policy?

Republican | ARKANSAS

_____

Lt. Col. Bill Bloom

26 minutes ago, Brady said:

Mr. Alexander, thank you for being with us today. In 2011, President Obama directed the Justice Department to decline to defend the Defense of Marriage Act from litigation, and several years later both DOMA and state level same-sex marriage bans were overturned by the Supreme Court's decision in Obergefell v. Hodges. Do you believe it was appropriate for the President to issue such a directive to the Justice Department? Is that kind of directive something you would be comfortable with, were President Tillman to issue a similar directive?

I do believe it’s appropriate yes. To answer your other question I would say it all depends on the circumstances.

—————

—————

5 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Please clarify how you would leave the enforcement of federal immigration law up to communities while not surrendering federal power. Do you find that there’s a misalignment between federal immigration policy and state/local sanctuary city policy?

I would go about it just like the Obama Admin went about states legalizing marijuana. Letting states and cities have their laws but making clear the federal gov would not be surrendering its power.

—————

—————

42 minutes ago, Dogslife said:

I would go about it just like the Obama Admin went about states legalizing marijuana. Letting states and cities have their laws but making clear the federal gov would not be surrendering its power.

You would let states decide their own immigration policies? Can you clarify how that makes clear that the federal government isn’t surrendering that power to local governments?

• Like 1

Administrator

1 hour ago, Dogslife said:

Yes I believe, that with the Heller decision, it is now the law of the land that individuals have the right to bear arms unconnected to militia service. But with that I also still believe that there can still be regulations on firearms. I agree with the majority opinion in saying 

“Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited.”

What kind of regulations are you thinking? I’m also concerned with your phrasing that the Heller decision just “now” made it the law of the land that the people have the right to bear arms regardless of the militia, despite you later saying you agree with the majority’s opinion, which analyzed the grammar and historical context of the Second Amendment to show that the right to bear arms was never conditional on service in the militia. What did you mean by saying that it is “now” the law of the land with the Heller decision?

Administrator

5 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

Also, do you believe that the death penalty is Constitutional?

Yes I do. 

—————

—————

1 hour ago, SWMissourian said:

You would let states decide their own immigration policies? Can you clarify how that makes clear that the federal government isn’t surrendering that power to local governments?

By saying the federal government still has power, just like what the Obama doj did with marijuana.

—————

—————

1 hour ago, SWMissourian said:

What kind of regulations are you thinking? I’m also concerned with your phrasing that the Heller decision just “now” made it the law of the land that the people have the right to bear arms regardless of the militia, despite you later saying you agree with the majority’s opinion, which analyzed the grammar and historical context of the Second Amendment to show that the right to bear arms was never conditional on service in the militia. What did you mean by saying that it is “now” the law of the land with the Heller decision?

I say now because it was a fairly recent decision. Only 8 years ago it was decided.

—————

—————

5 minutes ago, Dogslife said:

Yes I do. 

To clarify, I’m morally against it but I don’t think that it is unconstitutional.

—————

—————