Rebecca Flair - FL Press Office

Macmillan

Flair Calls for Sensible Trade Policy

Our nation's current trading relationship with the World is not working, that much is clear, we are losing jobs overseas faster than we can count and that is hurting Americans across the country including in my home state Florida. President Obama's policy of any deal at any cost is not how we should conduct ourselves on the international stage but equally the answer is not to swing to the opposite extreme and endorse full-blooded protectionism. Free Trade works and lifts our economy and the economies of every nation we trade with, but free trade must be tempered with fair trade which is why I am happy to endorse Senator Fitzgerald's Fair Trade with China Act and other like-minded pieces of legislation in line to be considered by the Senate. China are currency manipulators and are engaging in hostile trading actions to destabilise western economies through undercutting of prices, dumping of goods, and the purchase of national debt. The GOP have been determined to take action against such actions and I urge the Presidential candidates to sign up in support of legislative efforts like this without losing sight of the fantastic opportunities that could be gained through fair free trade agreements with the likes of the EU, Africa, and our allies across Asia.

The Rt Hon Dylan Macmillan MP

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and First Lord of the Treasury

MP for Nuneaton

Flair Calls for Action to Tackle Daesh

Daesh are a barbaric example of the very worst excesses of political Islam, their murderous tyranny is committing genocide across the Middle East and it must be fought. I believe that to destroy such barbarians we can only rely on boots on the ground, our air strikes have proved ineffective to this point and so we must be willing to get tougher. I am calling on the President to take this international coalition announced by UK Prime Minister Caroline Blakesley and insist that ground forces are deployed to drive Daesh out of Iraq and destroy their capacity to fight in Syria. Only then will we be able to say that this particular head of the radical Islamic hydra has been severed and killed completely.

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and First Lord of the Treasury

MP for Nuneaton

Flair Supports Bipartisanship

At the end of the day the Democrats are playing a smart game that we could be left behind by if we don't get up and get in gear. A lot of the bills that they are, to quote my esteemed colleagues, "ignoring procedure" to pass are common sense bills which we simply have got to pass. All that the GOP does by rejecting these bills is alienate moderates, women, and even people in our own caucus. My seat is up in 2016, we have many other seats up across the country at the same time, we cannot afford to alienate moderate voices by sticking to partisan lines and rejecting perfectly sensible compromises. I am proud to have reached across the aisle on many issues to pass great legislation no matter the source, where Democrats and Republicans continue to work together on these issues I will continue to work with them

MP for Nuneaton

Flair Condemns SmL's Partisanship

The idea that any form of Twitter interaction is a substitute for official Government is ludicrous and laughable, it has become clear that Senator Powell is simply seeking the mask of bipartisanship whilst actually using that concept as a partisan weapon. When the top two Republicans in the Senate, along with over half of the caucus, support your move that's bipartisanship. When the SML refuses to engage through Twitter and instead prefers to operate through more official channels that is manners. When you refuse to travel those official channels and shoot your mouth off about partisanship instead it becomes abundantly clear that your goal isn't to pass meaningful reform your goal is to look moderate to the electorate and use that appearance of moderation as a club to try and hit Senators with. Frankly it is unacceptable, it is wrong, and Senator Powell should look at himself in the mirror before he comes in for work tomorrow.

MP for Nuneaton

Archived