Lobbying and Campaign Finance Reform Act

TexAgRepublican

Senator Fitzgerald, with regards to Mr. BENNET of COLORADO and Mr. GOSAR of ARIZONA, introduces:

A BILL

To provide limits on bundling, to reform the lobbyist registration process, to amend the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit the acceptance by political committees of online contributions from certain unverified sources, and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “Lobbying and Campaign Finance Reform Act”.

SEC. 2. LIMITATION ON BUNDLED CONTRIBUTIONS.

(a) In General.—Section 315(a) of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (52 U.S.C. 30116) is amended by adding at the end the following new paragraph:

“(10) For purposes of paragraph (1), any bundled contribution (as defined in section 304(i)(8)) forwarded by a person described in section 304(i)(7) to a committee described in section 304(i)(6) shall be treated both as a contribution made by the person forwarding such contribution and as a contribution made by the contributor.”.

(b) Definition Of Bundled Contribution.—Clause (ii) of section 304(i)(A) of such Act is amended by inserting “(whether in writing or otherwise)” after “other means”.

(c) Effective Date.—

(1) IN GENERAL.—The amendment made by subsection (a) shall take effect on the date of the enactment of this Act.

(2) DEFINITION OF BUNDLED CONTRIBUTION.—The amendment made by subsection (b) shall take effect 90 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

SEC. 3. LOBBYIST REGISTRATION REFORMS.

Section 3(10) of the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995 (2 U.S.C. 1602(10)) is amended by striking “contact, other than” and all that follows through “3-month period.” and inserting “contact over a 2-year period.”.

SEC. 4. BAN ON SOLICITING CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS FROM REGISTERED LOBBYISTS.

Title III of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (52 U.S.C. 30101 et seq.) is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

“SEC. 325. SOLICITATIONS OF REGISTERED LOBBYISTS.

“(a) Senate.—A candidate for the office of Senator, an individual holding the office of Senator, an agent of such a candidate or an individual holding such office, or an entity directly or indirectly established, financed, maintained, or controlled by or acting on behalf of 1 or more such candidates or individuals holding such office may not solicit from any registered lobbyist funds in connection with any election for the office of Senator during any period in which the Senate is in session.

“(b) House Of Representatives.—A candidate for Representative to, or Representative in, or Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress, an individual holding such an office, an agent of a candidate or an individual holding such an office, or an entity directly or indirectly established, financed, maintained, or controlled by or acting on behalf of 1 or more such candidates or individuals holding such an office may not solicit from any registered lobbyist funds in connection with any election for Representative to, or Representative in, or Delegate or Resident Commissioner to, the Congress during any period in which the House of Representatives is in session.

“(c) Registered Lobbyist.—For purposes of this section, the term ‘registered lobbyist’ means any person who is described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) of section 304(i)(7).

“(d) Determination Of When Body Is In Session.—For purposes of this section, the Senate or House of Representatives shall be considered to be in session during any period unless such body has adjourned for, or is in recess for, a period of 10 calendar days or longer.”.

SEC. 5. REQUIRING DISCLOSURE OF CREDIT VERIFICATION VALUE AS CONDITION OF ACCEPTANCE OF ONLINE CONTRIBUTIONS TO FEDERAL ELECTION.

(a) In General.—Section 302 of the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (52 U.S.C. 30102) is amended by adding at the end the following:

“(j)(1) No political committee shall accept any Internet credit card contribution unless—

“(A) the individual or entity making such contribution is required, at the time such individual makes such contribution, to disclose the credit verification value of such credit card; and

“(B)(i) the billing address associated with such credit card is located in the United States; or

“(ii) in the case of a contribution made by an individual who is a United States citizen living outside of the United States, the individual provides the committee with the United States mailing address the individual uses for voter registration purposes.

“(2) Notwithstanding subsection (b) or (c), in the case of an Internet credit card contribution—

“(A) no later than 10 days after receiving the contribution, the person who receives the contribution shall forward to the treasurer such contribution, the name and address of the person making the contribution, and the date of receipt; and

“(B) the treasurer of a political committee shall keep an account of the name and address of any person making any such contribution, together with the date and amount of such contribution by any person.

“(3) In this subsection, the term ‘Internet credit card contribution’ means a contribution that—

“(A) is made using a credit card; and

“(B) is received through an Internet website.”.

(b) Effective Date.—The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply with respect to contributions made after the expiration of the 180-day period which begins on the date of the enactment of this Act.

SEC. 6. ENACTMENT.

This bill shall become law immediately following its Constitutional passage.

PES: 

Amends the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 (FECA) to declare that, for purposes of dollar limits on contributions, any bundled contribution forwarded by a currently registered lobbyist or a political committee established or controlled by one to an authorized committee of a candidate, a leadership political action committee, or a political party committee shall be treated as both a contribution made by the person forwarding it and as a contribution made by the contributor.

Amends the Lobbying Disclosure Act of 1995 to revise the definition of "lobbyist" with respect to its exemption from coverage of certain individuals whose lobbying activities constitute less than 20% of the time engaged in the services provided to a client over a 3-month period. Extends the 3-month period into a 2-year period.

Amends FECA to prohibit House of Representatives and Senate candidates, Members, Senators, their agents, or any entities directly or indirectly established, financed, maintained, or controlled by or acting on behalf of one or more of them from soliciting funds from any registered lobbyist in connection with an election to the House or Senate during any period in which the chamber is in session (excluding adjournments or recesses for 10 calendar days or longer). 

Amends the Federal Election Campaign Act of 1971 to prohibit political committees from accepting any Internet credit card contribution unless:

- the individual or entity making the contribution is required, at the time of the contribution, to disclose the credit card's verification value; and
- the billing address associated with the card is located in the United States or, if the contribution comes from an individual U.S. citizen living outside of the United States, the individual gives the committee the U.S. mailing address he or she uses for voter registration.

In the case of an Internet credit card contribution:

- the person receiving the contribution shall forward it to the treasurer of the political comittee within 10 days, together with the name and address of the contributor and the date of receipt; and
- the treasurer shall keep an account of the contributor's name and address, together with the date and amount of the contribution.

Former President Kyle Fitzgerald

Three-Time Republican Nominee

Nobel Peace Prize Winner

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Mr. President,

I move to offer the following amendment,

“SECTION 6. LOBBYING BAN.

a. No person who has served in the United States Congress as a Senator, Representative, Delegate or Resident Commissioner as well as no person who has served as President of the United States or in the cabinet shall be allowed to register as a lobbyist. 

1. This ban shall apply for the lifetime of said individual.”

I yield

William C. Motter D-CO-02 (Boulder, Fort Collins, Broomfield)

11 minutes ago, Dogslife said:

Mr. President,

I move to offer the following amendment,

“SECTION 6. LOBBYING BAN.

a. No person who has served in the United States Congress as a Senator, Representative, Delegate or Resident Commissioner as well as no person who has served as President of the United States or in the cabinet shall be allowed to register as a lobbyist. 

1. This ban shall apply for the lifetime of said individual.”

I yield

Mr. President,

I second 

Congress & Supreme Court Admin

Admin NPCs:
Rep. Derek H. Gray (D-TX-20)

Speaker of the House & Democratic Party Chair

The Hon. John Roberts

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Mr. President, 

I am uncomfortable with regulating the actions of private citizens. 

Therefore, I vote nay on the amendment. 

I yield. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Mr. President,

I move that this bill, as amended, pass by unanimous consent.

I yield

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts

5 minutes ago, ADG said:

Mr. President, 

I object to unanimous consent. I also move for cloture.

I yield. 

Second.

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts

• Nubbie locked this topic

Archived