Owner: John Blythe

Media Markets: Birmingham-Huntsville, AL

Political Leaning: Conservative

Launch date: June 10, 2021

N E W S

to  YOU

with  John  Blythe

—S1.E1.(PART 1)—

BLYTHE: Good evening everybody! My name’s John Blythe, and welcome to the season premiere of News to You. I’m excited to get into the news, but first, I have to mention the news of the week: the recent, unexpected, and questionable death of President Christina Tillman. Here to join me are NTY’s own Senior White House Correspondent, Hudson Little, and Federal Agencies Correspondent, Lydia Pool. Thanks for being here.

Hudson, the President’s death came as a major surprise to everyone outside the White House. It must have also been a shock to White House staff that Tillman—who was a mere 45 years old—literally died in the Oval Office, right?

LITTLE: John, I first want to point out how big a deal this is. The 45 year old, first female President of the United States died in office. It was certainly a shock to most of us. I felt bad for Allison Paige, the new White House Press Secretary, who had to nervously deliver such major news at her first press briefing.

It is important to ask, however, where the countless Secret Service agents that protect the President were? Where was the Physician to the President—also referred to as the “shadow of the President,” who’s famous for being close to the President and constantly aware of his/her health?

I’m not calling foul play or suggesting negligence, it should just be worrying to Americans at home that stuff like this can happen so abruptly. We’ve heard remarks and condolences from several Members of Congress, yet no expression of concern regarding how the wellness of the Leader of the Free World is ensured. That’s something to be discussed by our legislators.

POOL: I’ll have to agree with Hudson on one point, John: the wellness of the President is a major concern of every branch of government. While President James agreed to maintain Tillman’s confirmed Cabinet, I can imagine agencies are at a standstill awaiting new policy instructions from their new Chief Executive. James shares many of President Tillman’s values, but we’ve never gotten to see him as a policy leader in Washington. Now....here he is.

BLYTHE: Speaking of policy, Lydia, three Bills are still sitting on the Oval Office desk, and Congress just unanimously passed the GOP’s Balanced Budget Amendment which may seriously influence the favorability of this Administration’s first proposed budget. Are you confident President James’s preparation?

POOL: The bipartisan bills sent to the President’s desk should have no problem being signed, so that’s not a problem. But the budget is a whole different issue.

Senate Republicans have made it absolutely clear that a balanced budget is essential to national security. President James is gonna have to work very quickly and carefully to craft an acceptable budget in time. If he doesn’t, Americans face a government shutdown, which we’ve seen hurt the economy, screw over federal workers, and make the U.S. look weak. Let’s just say Americans should be at the edge of their seat as we see how President James juggles his new duties.

BLUTHE: Well I’m certainly already on the edge of my seat. Not to mention he still needs to nominate a new Vice President for Congressional confirmation.

Right now, we have to take a break, but stay tuned for a discussion on the CFPB—does it protect consumers, or just enrich trial lawyers?

• Like 1

Sen. Grant Pinnacle

Majority Leader

Republican | ARKANSAS

Twitter | Press Office | Website

John Blythe (AL)

Host | News To You

—S1.E1.(PART 2)—

BLYTHE: Aaand, we’re back! If you’re just tuning in, with me are NTY’s Hudson Little and Lydia Pool.

Lydia, you’ve been keeping an eye on federal agencies since joining the team. Recently we saw a rare, heated debate on the Senate Floor over the proposed repeal of one of those agencies: the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau. Can you explain what’s going on? Is this a relevant topic to the American people?

POOL: Its absolutely relevant. The CFPB—a decade year-old bureau created after the Great Recession—is a quite special entity. Its perhaps the only federal agency with zero political accountability. In D.C., it’s seen as an institution bigger and more overreaching than the government itself; that’s why we have seen Republican Senators come out to push for its repeal. Take Texas Senator Jackson Burch, a lifetime businessman and NYSE Director, who said the following on the Floor today:

Reads quote: (Senator Burch’s remarks on Senate Floor)

”I have seen firsthand the unchecked regulatory might of the CFPB. If we as business owners need to spend more money to higher lawyers instead of investing that money into our employees and the creation of new jobs, then what are our companies in the United States for?”

LITTLE: Senator Burch is absolutely right, John. The CFPB, in theory, is fine. It’s not controversial to protect American consumers. The problem with the CFPB is its structure, and it’s execution. See, CFPB follows the command of one individual, un-fireable by the President, un-accountable to the Congress. While they are “aimed” at protecting consumers, it executes its power by hurting businesses, reducing jobs, and picking our economy’s winners and losers.

BLYTHE: I completely agree. I’d love to continue this conversation but we have more breaking news.

The Attorney General has announced that he will be challenging the bipartisan, unanimous Balanced Budget Amendment, which has already been sent off to the states for ratification. Here’s a clip—

Video Clip: (Muldowney announces challenge to BBA)

“The Justice Department is filing a legal brief challenging the Balanced Budget Amendment. It is the position of the United States that the procedure through which this Amendment was passed through the Senate, that is, via unanimous consent, is in direct violation of Article V of the Constitution. There was no formal vote conducted...”

*laughs* So — *continues laughing*

POOL: *chuckles* Its certainly a unique argument.

BLYTHE: *laughs* Very unique and, as Senator Pinnacle put it, in very bad timing. The BBA was the last major bipartisan initiative passed under late-President Tillman. It’s concerning to see it delegitimized by one, un-elected guy.

Hudson, this challenge obviously came as a surprise to many in D.C. What do you know about Muldowney’s legal questions and their origins?

LITTLE: From what I understand, this legal challenge did not come at the direction of President Tillman, and may not have had her support if I had to guess. This argument that unanimous consent doesn’t count as two-thirds—or more—in support sprung up immediately after James was sworn-in. Could it just be Muldowney’s attempt to shift focus from President Tillman’s death? *shrugs*

I did have the chance to speak to a DOJ spokesperson about some of these very issues, and here’s what they had to say:

”As the Attorney General said, it is the position of the Justice Department that the Constitution demands a vote on amendments; the Amendment was passed without a formal vote in which two thirds of the Senate voted in the affirmative and is thus in breach of Article V.”

BLYTHE: NTY will certainly stay tuned as Muldowney’s first major legal challenge unfolds—or well, folds. 

Thats the show! Big thanks to Lydia and Hudson; we’ll see you all next week, with special guest, Texas Senator Kyle Jones.

Edited by Pinnacle
  • Like 1

Sen. Grant Pinnacle

Majority Leader

Republican | ARKANSAS

John Blythe (AL)

Host | News To You

N E W S

to  YOU

with  John  Blythe

—S1.E2.(PART 1)—

BLYTHE: Good evening, America, and welcome back to News to You.

Last week, we watched Mr. Declan James’s clumsy ascension to the United States Presidency following the unexpected death of President Tillman. As the Attorney General elicited national criticism by challenging the bipartisan Balanced Budget Amendment, President James and now-Vice President Magnuson worked in private on a proposed budget—right up until the deadline. This proposed, trillion dollar budget was immediately shot down, opening the door to the first government shutdown of this President.

Dean Latimer, NTY’s Senior Congressional Correspondent, and Lydia Pool, Federal Agencies Correspondent, are here to talk more about the budget crisis. Dean, what will the Shutdown look like; and how will Congress resolve it?

LATIMER: Thanks, John. Even though President James’s late budget was not approved, Senate Republicans did manage to quickly introduce and pass a temporary funding resolution. This resolution—Majority Leader Pinnacle’s Continuing Appropriations Act of 2021—funds government agencies for a variable number of months. Per the CAA, the Defense Department is allocated $400 billion (over 60% of their requested funding for Fiscal Year 2022) to stay open; however, the Interior and Treasury Departments received 3% and 10% of their requested funding for the year, respectively.

Interestingly, the Department of Justice—which has faced bipartisan criticism for its ridiculous challenge against the BBA—was allocated 34% of their requested funding for the year.

POOL: It is important to acknowledge, Dean, that the CCA doesn’t fund all federal agencies and activities. DOJ, for example, was “funded,” but 90% of their temporary budget is reserved for federal law enforcement and U.S. Attorneys; and the DOJ is not permitted to spend more than $100,000 on civil suits with low monetary returns. This may significantly hamper the new Attorney General’s ability to fight the BBA in court over the next few months.

BLYTHE: Congress also cut the CFPB, right?

POOL: Ah, yes. As Republicans have made clear in previous debates, before the defeat of the CFPB Repeal Bill, that the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau is a harm to the American economy. Knowing this, it’s fitting that they completely cut funding to the CFPB in their continuing appropriations. This means that one of D.C.’s most powerful and overreaching agencies is temporarily closed for business: Republicans are pleased.

LATIMER: CFPB could even be closed down permanently, depending on what Congressional Leaders decide to cut or reduce as they craft a better budget plan. Sources tell me that these budget meetings haven’t yet started but are expected to be public, and soon.

BLYTHE: Well lets hope they end this partial shutdown as quick as possible. The “hashtag, James Magnuson shutdown” has put this Administration at a very bad start that could be impossible to recover from for the Democrats.

We need to take a break, but when we return: a profile on Alabama native, former Senate Democratic Leader, and Vice President of the United States of America, Webb Magnuson. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Sen. Grant Pinnacle

Majority Leader

Republican | ARKANSAS

John Blythe (AL)

Host | News To You

Sign in to follow this