Secure Citizenship Act of 2016

Nubbie

Mr. Driscoll, with thanks to Mr. Sasse, introduces,
A BILL

To make an alien who applies for naturalization using a false identity ineligible for citizenship and to require the completion of the Historical Fingerprint Enrollment Program and for other purposes.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the “Secure Citizenship Act of 2016”.

SEC. 2. PROHIBITION ON CITIZENSHIP FOR ALIENS APPLYING USING A FALSE NAME.

Section 316(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1427(a)) is amended—

(1) by striking “and” before “(3)”; and

(2) by striking the period at the end and inserting “, and (4) provides on the person's application for naturalization the person's current legal name and date of birth and all other names used since birth.”.

SEC. 3. COMPLETION OF THE HISTORICAL FINGERPRINT ENROLLMENT PROGRAM.

Not later than May 31, 2017, the Secretary of Homeland Security shall—

(1) complete the digitization of fingerprints of aliens who were fugitives, convicted criminals, subject to deportation orders, or had other derogatory information dating back to 1990 under the project known as the Historical Fingerprint Enrollment Program; and

(2) store such digitized fingerprints along with relating biographical data in the Automated Biometric Identification System (IDENT) maintained by the Department of Homeland Security.

PES:

This bill amends the Immigration and Nationality Act to require an alien to list on his or her naturalization application such person's current legal name and date of birth and all other names used since birth.

The bill requires the Department of Homeland Security, by May 31, 2017, to: (1) complete the digitization of fingerprints of aliens who were fugitives, convicted criminals, or subject to deportation orders or who had other derogatory information dating back to 1990 under the Historical Fingerprint Enrollment program; and (2) store such digitized fingerprints along with related biographical data in its Automated Biometric Identification system.

Senator Lonnie Kennedy

Senator from New Hampshire (2009-)

• 3 weeks later...

Mr. President,

I object and would like to ask a question of the Bills author, the senator from Nevada. That question is what exactly is “derogatory information” as stated in this act?

I yield

William C. Motter D-CO-02 (Boulder, Fort Collins, Broomfield)

Mr. President, 

Pursuant to Senate rules, seeing as how debate has ceased for over 72 hours, I motion for cloture with a simple majority. 

I yield.

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Mr. President, 

There is an outstanding question for the majority. This motion for simple majority is yet another attempt to avoid tough debate by this majority. I urge that the sponsor to answer the questions asked regarding the legislation. 

I yield

0B6E32E2-E74E-489C-9297-0F4AF2319B51.jpeg.99b640adfd1fd7b72e3dc8630982799e.jpeg

I agree that the Senator from Colorado asked an outstanding question.  Unfortunately for the Senator from California, the 72-hour rule does not require that outstanding questions be answered.  Obviously, the Senator from California can take this into account when considering their votes on cloture and final passage.  The motion for cloture has been made, recognized, and seconded.

24-hour vote for cloture under the 72-hour rule.

Andrew Byrd (and family), Virginia

Archived