Rules Amendment (OOC)

Steven Andrews

I would like to move to amend as follows:

(n) VOTING REGULATION -- Any vote considered invalid shall not be calculated into the final vote total. If under any circumstances the presiding officer counts an invalid vote, the vote in total shall be considered invalid and the bill automatically considered laid on the table. 

In the event that no member of a given party casts a vote on a motion and the vote is otherwise unanimous, the Presiding Officer may take the result to be unanimous for the prevailing side.  In the event that no member of a given party casts a vote on a motion and the vote is not otherwise unanimous, the result shall be reported as if the party with no votes cast abstained.

(OOC: This is a technical fix, but I wound up in a spot on the Opioid Action Act because no Dems showed up to vote.  This seems like the "cleanest" way to handle things.  Technically it will usually result in a cloture failure outside of an otherwise-unanimous result while potentially, in the same situation, resulting in passage on a final vote.  I also have no dog in the fight on how to handle this, but I would really like guidance on what I need to do.)

Andrew Byrd (and family), Virginia