Presidential Nomination: Department of The Interior

Steven Andrews

Governor Knox @CWard

Glad to see you. Why do you want to be Secretary of the Interior, and what would be your top priorities if confirmed?

Congress & Supreme Court Admin

Admin NPCs:
Rep. Derek H. Gray (D-TX-20)

Speaker of the House & Democratic Party Chair

The Hon. John Roberts

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

I believe strongly in caring for our natural resources. As a Christian, I believe we are tasked from our first day in Creation care. Making sure that our federal lands are well maintained and protected is my number one priority. Second, I believe our Native American tribes deserve to be especially cared for. We need someone who will make sure they are represented and their affairs are addressed promptly. In Arkansas we have both a deep natural blessing and a strong Native heritage. It’s an honor to serve. 

Calvin Ward

Senator Massachusetts- D 

I’m glad you brought up Native Americans. One major source of criticism for the the Interior Department comes from its Bureau of Indian Affairs because of its overbearing control over native peoples.

To what extend do you think the Interior Department via the BIA should be able to interfere with the self-governance of native tribes?

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts

Mr. Knox, 

Thank you for appearing and congratulations on your nomination. 

The department of interior is one of our largest departments overseeing most of their country’s domestic priorities. (OOC: Limitation on cabinet makes most other departments roll up under interior)  Can you outline the departments agenda on education, healthcare, housing and urban development, use of unions, and energy and infrastructure?

I yield 

0B6E32E2-E74E-489C-9297-0F4AF2319B51.jpeg.99b640adfd1fd7b72e3dc8630982799e.jpeg

9 hours ago, Pinnacle said:

I’m glad you brought up Native Americans. One major source of criticism for the the Interior Department comes from its Bureau of Indian Affairs because of its overbearing control over native peoples.

To what extend do you think the Interior Department via the BIA should be able to interfere with the self-governance of native tribes?

I believe that we should take a doctoral approach to the issue. Our first action should be to "do no harm". Ultimately it is vital that we as a government protect their self-governance. Through self-governance tribes are able to preserve their rich heritage and history. 

Calvin Ward

Senator Massachusetts- D 

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Mr. Knox, 

Thank you for appearing and congratulations on your nomination. 

The department of interior is one of our largest departments overseeing most of their country’s domestic priorities. (OOC: Limitation on cabinet makes most other departments roll up under interior)  Can you outline the departments agenda on education, healthcare, housing and urban development, use of unions, and energy and infrastructure?

I yield 

On education I believe we need to reform the way we fund schools and the way we educate. I think we need to ensure that every school is funded. What we have done historically is fund public schools through property taxes. Through redlining of the past, we ensured the minority communities were kept in the poorest areas and thus their schools weren't funded as well. This continued a systemic cycle of poverty. The way that we combat many of our ills is by providing a good education. But we also need to be honest that college isn't the only path to success. I think when we reform education we need to discuss pathways to success: trade, college, or military service. All three are different but our public schools should focus on preparing students for the next step. 

What that also means is that we have to prepare students for future jobs too. Automation is changing the way that we work. We need to make sure that when students graduate they are ready to enter the work force or higher education. One of the best ways that we grow jobs is by looking at green jobs. My goal is that we could reduce carbon emissions and grow the workforce. Capitalism meets creation care. 

I'm pro-union. I think organized labor is good for the people.

On housing, I think we're still recovering from the disaster of the Bush administration. I also believe that a federal tenants bill of rights would be landmark for this country. In Mr. Pinnacle's state a landlord doesn't have to make repairs and can still be paid in full. I think we need to go after slumlords; true slum lords. 

Calvin Ward

Senator Massachusetts- D 

22 hours ago, CWard said:

On education I believe we need to reform the way we fund schools and the way we educate. I think we need to ensure that every school is funded. What we have done historically is fund public schools through property taxes. Through redlining of the past, we ensured the minority communities were kept in the poorest areas and thus their schools weren't funded as well. This continued a systemic cycle of poverty. The way that we combat many of our ills is by providing a good education. But we also need to be honest that college isn't the only path to success. I think when we reform education we need to discuss pathways to success: trade, college, or military service. All three are different but our public schools should focus on preparing students for the next step. 

What that also means is that we have to prepare students for future jobs too. Automation is changing the way that we work. We need to make sure that when students graduate they are ready to enter the work force or higher education. One of the best ways that we grow jobs is by looking at green jobs. My goal is that we could reduce carbon emissions and grow the workforce. Capitalism meets creation care. 

I'm pro-union. I think organized labor is good for the people.

On housing, I think we're still recovering from the disaster of the Bush administration. I also believe that a federal tenants bill of rights would be landmark for this country. In Mr. Pinnacle's state a landlord doesn't have to make repairs and can still be paid in full. I think we need to go after slumlords; true slum lords. 

Sir, in your response to the Senator you brought up “my” state for our state landlord policy, and you also want to reform the way states fund schools.

As the former Governor of Arkansas—governor of the so-called “slumlords” and segregated schools which were perpetuated by your state policy—why didn’t you do anything to solve these state issues; and how do you expect to use the limited power of the federal government to impact state education programs and private tenant agreements?

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts

It takes a lot to reform anything. You’ve got to have total buy in and we didn’t have it when I was Governor. Republican legislators wouldn’t let us get it through on either issue. That’s not a critique to the party in general but it is the facts (OOC: are Republican strategy on tenants rights currently)

What we do is we press our goals and then work through legislative process. In this country we have a long history of executive and legislative working together for common goals. I think education reform and tenants rights are attainable goals that both parties should hope to get done. 

In specific on tenants rights, you can legislate minimum standards. Our vision, your action. 

Calvin Ward

Senator Massachusetts- D 

Archived