Opioid Action Act

Steven Andrews

*steps out of the Chair*

Mr. President, I object.

I move to amend as follows:
Strike Section 4.

I move to strike Section 4 because I believe that, as written, it is excessively overbroad in its phrasing.  I am very concerned that, for example, simple possession of Schedule II or Schedule III substances would now potentially merit a stronger penalty than the equivalent offense for cocaine or heroin.  On the basis of the phrasing in the Act, it also appears to place simple possession on the same footing as large-scale trafficking.

I would be prepared to support a more narrow version of Section 4, but as it stands it runs the risk of serious overkill.

I yield.

Andrew Byrd (and family), Virginia

Mr. President,

The increases in maximum penalties under Section 4 serve to deter drug trafficking and manufacturing, and allow for judges and juries to more adequately sentence criminals profiting off of the opioid epidemic.

I do intend to bring criminal justice reform to the floor soon to review how the government can encourage responsible, equitable sentencing for convicts. In the meantime, I’m confident that this Bill, as written, will serve as an effective solution to our nation’s pressing crisis.

Therefore, Mr. President, I move for cloture and yield.

Congress & Supreme Court Admin

Admin NPCs:
Rep. Derek H. Gray (D-TX-20)

Speaker of the House & Democratic Party Chair

The Hon. John Roberts

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

A motion for cloture has been made and seconded.

48-hour vote on cloture.

The Chair rules that, as the only sufficiently related debate was in conjunction with a member rising to move cloture, a simple majority will suffice.  The Chair will accept an appeal if anybody feels this is in error.

The Chair is going to need to consult with the Parliamentarian for a technical issue.

(OOC: No Democrats cast a vote in the time granted and the rules don't say what to do in this case.  The spreadsheet generates the following result:

Senate Vote
  Aye Nay Abstain
Republicans 39 14 0
Democrats #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0!
Total #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0!
#DIV/0!

If it were a vote on cloture, I would declare a failure for want of 60 votes in favor.  That is straightforward.  I therefore request an administrative ruling and a formal declaration of how to handle either party no-showing on a vote.  @SWMissourian @Bruce )

(For posterity, here is the full result:

Senate Vote
  Aye Nay Abstain
Republicans 39 14 0
Total #DIV/0! #DIV/0! #DIV/0!
#DIV/0!

House Vote
  Aye Nay Abstain
Republicans 170 59 0