Kate's Law

Steven Andrews

Mr. President, 

The Senate voted on this law last session, and it passed by a good, comfortable supermajority. Many Democrats joined the Republican Party in recognizing the need for greater border security and justice following the senseless murders of people like Kate Steinle in California, and more recently in the states of Kansas and Missouri. I ask once again that my colleagues from across the aisle join me in voting for this law, with the amendments we made last time included. 

I yield. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Mr. President 

I believe this bill got through cloture under the GOP’s “take their ball and go home” rule change last session. I won’t vote for cloture in this bill and will come back every day to debate this if need be. 

I yield 

Calvin Ward

Senator Massachusetts- D 

Mr. President, 

This bill received cloture with 65 votes last session and was passed with 60 votes. Last I checked, that is a bipartisan supermajority. 

Furthermore, I reject the notion that last session’s rule change was a “take your ball and go home” change. It was a response to Democrats across the aisle holding up bills without even trying to filibuster. Bills would just sit with no debate but they couldn’t move forward and the Senate couldn’t do the job it was elected to do because they refused to vote for cloture to actually hold a vote on several bills. This keeps debate up and running, so that even if we aren’t passing legislation, we can debate on that legislation and discuss it, or Democrats at least must actually try to filibuster.

I yield. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Mr. President,

I echo the previous remarks of my colleague from Missouri. Kate’s Law was crafted through compromise and had overwhelming bipartisan support last session. It’s time we do what we didn’t have enough time to do last year and pass this Bill on to the President for her signature.

I second the motion for cloture and yield.

Congress & Supreme Court Admin

Admin NPCs:
Rep. Derek H. Gray (D-TX-20)

Speaker of the House & Democratic Party Chair

The Hon. John Roberts

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

Archived