National Security Hearing 1

Bruce

• Administrators

The following individuals are in attendance:

Director Haines, I’d like to ask you what the United States knows about any potential threats posed by extraterrestrial powers. Have the Scolveks informed us of any of those? What’s the situation like?

Secretary Austin, how are we equipped to defend ourselves against any potential alien attack, excluding anything potentially apocalyptic like a massive nuclear strike? Is there a strategy towards that end? Are there any promising new technologies or doctrines we can look at? 

And to any of our esteemed officials here who might be able to answer, I would like to know about the governance of the Scolveks and the federation or whatever it is they’re apart of. What do we know? How is it structured? Who leads the Scolveks? 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

On 12/30/2021 at 6:15 PM, SWMissourian said:

And to any of our esteemed officials here who might be able to answer, I would like to know about the governance of the Scolveks and the federation or whatever it is they’re apart of. What do we know? How is it structured? Who leads the Scolveks? 

OOC: This can be rough information. I don’t need a lot of detail.

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Bruce said:

Yessir. Sorry for the slow response on this.

Oh it’s no trouble. I don’t mind the focus on the elections. I’d prefer they go smoothly. 

• Thanks 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

• 2 weeks later...

@Bruce

Thanks for being available to answer these questions. Can you please update the committee on where things stand with regards to extraterrestrial beings and if there have been any updates or changes since the initial contact? Is there anything that has happened since then that the committee should be aware of? Furthermore, I am also interested in the questions asked by Speaker Drake. Thank you for your time. 

Edited by TexAgRepublican
  • Like 1

Former President Kyle Fitzgerald

Three-Time Republican Nominee

Nobel Peace Prize Winner

• Administrators
On 12/30/2021 at 7:15 PM, SWMissourian said:

Director Haines, I’d like to ask you what the United States knows about any potential threats posed by extraterrestrial powers. Have the Scolveks informed us of any of those? What’s the situation like?

HAINES: There are competing races, but the Scolveks have largely been protecting us from them. 

Secretary Austin, how are we equipped to defend ourselves against any potential alien attack, excluding anything potentially apocalyptic like a massive nuclear strike? Is there a strategy towards that end? Are there any promising new technologies or doctrines we can look at?  

AUSTIN: Frankly, Mr. Speaker, we're woefully underequipped. We need a massive investment in defense R&D. 

BURNS: I'll take this one, Mr. Speaker. Government structures vary widely across the universe. There are worlds under a tyrannical government, but the Scolveks seem to frown on this. The Scolveki governing structure is, in fact, fascinating. As you have previously learned, their preferred form of communication is telepathically. They communicate one on one by conveying thoughts to each other. However, they also have the ability to communicate on a species level. Think of it as tuning into different radio stations. On this universal frequency, the Scolveki race makes the decisions that a human government would make. We do not really know much about this decision-making process, but we it generally rationalize it as chaotic debate and a way for each member of the species to vote on a proposal. Of course, this last part may just be conjecture. The Scolveks do have a "leader" in the form of what we would describe as a ceremonial head of state. Often this is the oldest member of the species and does not hold real power. 

Burns looks at each member of the committee wonderingly. 

Does anyone know what the noosphere is referring to? It was the Scolveks that inspired Vernadsky and de Chardin's work and it is quite similar to how the Scolveks describe their domestic affairs. Here's a few articles that might help: 

The Scolveki Alliance has a lot of similarities to NATO, to be honest. We do not know how many total species are involved in the alliance, but they appear to be one of the major powers in the universe. 

• Administrators
On 1/25/2022 at 9:57 PM, TexAgRepublican said:

@Bruce

Thanks for being available to answer these questions. Can you please update the committee on where things stand with regards to extraterrestrial beings and if there have been any updates or changes since the initial contact? Is there anything that has happened since then that the committee should be aware of? Furthermore, I am also interested in the questions asked by Speaker Drake. Thank you for your time. 

AUSTIN: They have told us that they're allowing us to process the information, so no major changes to speak of. 

6 hours ago, Bruce said:

AUSTIN: Frankly, Mr. Speaker, we're woefully underequipped. We need a massive investment in defense R&D. 

Mr. Secretary, what specifically do we need to invest in? 

Former President Kyle Fitzgerald

Three-Time Republican Nominee

Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Are the Scolveks open to trading or providing military or defensive technologies to us?

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

• Administrators
5 hours ago, TexAgRepublican said:

Mr. Secretary, what specifically do we need to invest in? 

AUSTIN: It's hard to know what specifically will bring results. We have opportunities in forms of stealth, propulsion, and tracking radar, for example. But my recommendation is to broadly fund research efforts.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, SWMissourian said:

Are the Scolveks open to trading or providing military or defensive technologies to us?

AUSTIN: Presumably they are, yes. They have been helpful in the past.

• Happy 1