Christopher Drake Introduces Legislation to Support Adoption

SWMissourian

Characters Referenced: Christopher Drake

WASHINGTON, D.C. - Representative Christopher Drake (R-NY-2) introduced several new bills to the US House of Representatives today to support adoption in the United States. As an adoptive father and a member of the Congressional Adoption Caucus, Representative Drake has made supporting adoption and adoptive families a top priority of his in Congress since he was first elected. To that end, Drake has introduced three new bills: the Improving Adoption Outcomes and Affordability Act, the Intercountry Adoption Advisory Committee Act, and the Adoption Tax Credit Refundability Act of 2021. 

The Improving Adoption Outcomes and Affordability Act requires the Administration for Children and Families to provide counseling services for mothers who are considering placing or have already placed their child up for adoption, along with requiring the ACF to provide training for hospital staff and postadoption or postplacement support services. 

The Intercountry Adoption Advisory Committee Act requires the Department of State to establish an intercountry adoption advisory committee to consult on and provide recommendations for improvements to intercountry adoption. "When families try to adopt internationally, things can get difficult, confusing, expensive, and frustrating. Our kids and our parents deserve better than that, and this is the first step to improving that process," Drake said in a statement. 

The Adoption Tax Credit Refundability Act of 2021 would make the adoption tax credit fully refundable. "Adoption is expensive and tough. There are thousands of kids out there waiting to find a loving home with good parents. I think we should have a country where parents, who are often guided by their faith in God and love for their fellow people, can adopt kids without having to worry about if they can afford the actual process of bringing the kid into their home. We shouldn't be telling loving parents, 'Sorry, you can't afford to love these kids.' Truth is, we should be encouraging them," Drake said. 

Christopher Drake summed up his statement by saying, "Adoption is very important to me. I think that there are thousands of amazing parents out there considering or trying adoption. We have thousands and thousands of kids in our country, good kids, who need a stable, loving home with two parents, and we have parents who want to provide that for them. For me and my wife, God guided us to adopt our beautiful daughter, and I saw just how difficult the process can be. Adoption should be safe and secure, but it shouldn't be needlessly difficult and expensive. That's why I'm working hard in Congress to make adoption more accessible and affordable for American families."

View full press release

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player