5. Securing our Agriculture and Food Act - Bishop

Edited by Pinnacle

Congress & Supreme Court Admin

Admin NPCs:
Rep. Derek H. Gray (D-TX-20)

Speaker of the House & Democratic Party Chair

The Hon. John Roberts

Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

We could start off the session with a less controversial docket, with things like the Cybersecurity Preparedness Act or Opioid Action Act. I also recommend that we get Kate's Law passed ASAP, since it passed with a bipartisan supermajority last session, and it is something we can slam Tillman for when she vetoes it. 

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Are we obligated to give them a docket pick? How does cloture work in this sim? One thing I've seen in other sims is the majority gives the minority docket access only if the minority agrees to vote for cloture on the majority bills. 

• Like 1

Senator John Kadar (R-WV)

@Sheridan Docket rules are in Section III of the Senate Rules. However, (a) and (b) were amended as follows.

(a) DOCKET -- It is the responsibility of the Senate Majority Leader to set the docket of bills to be considered. The docket is the list of bills that are to be brought to the floor before the entire Senate for consideration. There may not be more than one (1) docket being debated at the same time; provided that if less than three (3) bills are being debated at a given time, a new docket may be introduced.

(b) DOCKET LIMITS -- All bills that have passed committee are eligible to be placed on the docket. On each docket, it must consist of no less than three (3) bills, and no more than five (5). A docket may only consist of bills that have passed committees. Except for the first docket of a session, bills that have not passed committee are ineligible to be docketed (unless a motion to bypass committee is passed, see section 4, clause (a), subclause (1)).  The Majority Leader shall, in each docket, consult with the Minority Leader and place one bill of the latter's choosing in each docket.  The Majority Leader may proceed with a docket without such a bill only if the Minority Leader, or their designee, doesn't select a bill within 24 hours of being asked for such preference and before the docket is posted.

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts

52 minutes ago, Sheridan said:

Are we obligated to give them a docket pick? How does cloture work in this sim? One thing I've seen in other sims is the majority gives the minority docket access only if the minority agrees to vote for cloture on the majority bills. 

I was considering offering them options for bills they can choose, each docket. The cloture thing sounds like a good idea. I’m waiting to see who they pick for SmL so we can start talking.

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts

I wish we’d set up that agreement instead of giving them docket access. Anyway @Sheridan, we altered the rules because the Democrats kept doing the thing where they just pretend a bill doesn’t exist instead of actually filibustering it, so we changed the rules using the nuke to make it so they have to say something on a bill in at most three days otherwise we can invoke cloture with a simple majority. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Also let’s put the Fair Maps Act up since it won’t pass. Don’t let them have an early victory. 

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

7 minutes ago, Sheridan said:

Do we need to put Plain English Summaries on bills even if they are written in plain English already? 

I don't think so. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Sheridan said:

Do we need to put Plain English Summaries on bills even if they are written in plain English already? 

It's admin judgment on a case by case basis. Feel free to link me to any ones that you're wondering about.

• Like 1

Pinnacle, what is the endgame for this? Are we putting these on first docket, or is it nominees, or a mix or what?

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

1 hour ago, SWMissourian said:

Pinnacle, what is the endgame for this? Are we putting these on first docket, or is it nominees, or a mix or what?

The plan was initially do our bills + SecDef (and SecState if they had one) for docket 1, and the other appointments for 2. Powell was gonna cry “obstruction.”

I talked with Powell about passing the bills in the memo [that I knew he was going to publish] through Emergency (as they are all bipartisan and reasonable). The message there was that our duty to legislate is just as important as our duty to give advice and consent.

• Like 1

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts

15 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

The plan was initially do our bills + SecDef (and SecState if they had one) for docket 1, and the other appointments for 2. Powell was gonna cry “obstruction.”

I talked with Powell about passing the bills in the memo [that I knew he was going to publish] through Emergency (as they are all bipartisan and reasonable). The message there was that our duty to legislate is just as important as our duty to give advice and consent.

I think we should clarify that to the public to avoid minor controversy

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Oh I’m definitely gonna respond.

Powell made it clear that either we do a clean appointments docket first or he’s throwing a fit. If I just put up a docket and hold him (AG), Treasury, and Interior til the second, I think they’ll live. 

• Like 2

Admin NPCs:

The Hon. John Roberts