Powell Town Hall

Dogslife

AMNC - Tom Shapiro 

Senator Powell, on the Second Amendment issue, you and your party have often talked of states’ rights, contrasting with your policy proposal of hiking minimum wage dramatically over those of the states. Why do states’ rights apply in cases of constitutional rights but not economic policy?

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Thank you for the question Mr. Shapiro, glad you could make it here.

The bill I think you're referring to, the Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act, does in fact infringe on states rights in a very major way. The bill made is so a nebraskan for instance, wouldn't have to follow the concealed carry laws of colorado. That's what the bill did. That's why I stood against it. I wanted to make sure Colorado's laws applied in Colorado 100% of the time, not just in some circumstances. 

On the subject of minimum wage, I realized that nationwide, as well as in Colorado, the wages were just too low. People cannot make a living off of just $7.25 per hour. That's why I introduced a bill that would gradually increase the minimum wage to make it a living wage. No person, no father or mother, should have to work multiple jobs to put food on the table for their children. It wouldn't be an overnight shift from $7.25 to $15.00, it would be gradual so our economy wouldn't be rocked overnight. Raising the wage would also help local small businesses here in Colorado. When workers have more money from wages, they can use that money to shop at more businesses which then can hire more workers. Raising the wage would help start a virtuous cycle of prosperity in our country and will lift millions out of poverty. 

William C. Motter D-CO-02 (Boulder, Fort Collins, Broomfield)

Archived