Powell Holds Press Conference in Denver

Dogslife

Hello everyone and thank you for coming out today. I have a few things to talk about today.

The first thing is a quick response to what Senator Pinnacle said down in El Paso. He said “oh you dems are being obstructionist and not getting anything done.” That’s just a lie. It’s a lie. As the MINORITY we have passed a bill to honor veterans, that was the first bill passing congress. A democratic bill that was pushed through by democrats. We’ve also passed multiple bills to help survivors of sexual assault, these bills had opposition from republican senators like Granata and Tillman from Louisiana. Democrats pushed an amendment to a bill to put a lifetime lobbying ban on members of congress, to republican opposition.

There have also been bills, great bills, that the Majority has blocked. Dems tried to put forward a bill to stop gerrymander, to stop cheating in elections. Every republican voted against it. We tried to actually help lower drug prices. Every republican voted against it, and not one explained why they voted that way. They then tried to replace that bill with a one sentence monstrosity that would just continue to put the power of drug prices in the hands of drug makers. This even though we’ve been doing that for all of history and that’s what’s lead to us having 288% more expensive drugs then in other countries. 

If you want to talk about getting things done, ya dems, as the minority, have gotten many many things done. The republicans have only tried to push through radical bills like stealing a women’s right to chose and getting stomping on states rights to push gun control. They then go and block bills to stop cheating in elections and to lower drug prices. So who’s the real obstructionist? 

The second one thing I want to talk about is a bill I’ve just moved forward in the senate. The Protect states and citizens rights act. This bill will make it so the federal government can not impede with a state’s choice to legalize recreational marijuana. Our state did that in 2012 with 55% support. Now we’ve seen an entire new sector of our economy. We’ve seen thousands of jobs and millions in new tax revenue for education and fixing our roads. I hope that my fellow senators will vote in favor of this legislation so that our state and others will not have to worry about the federal government overriding the will and the votes of the people.

Now I would like to open the floor to any questions you may have.

William C. Motter D-CO-02 (Boulder, Fort Collins, Broomfield)

Senator Powell,

I'm a reporter at a genuine news agency, why are you in favour of states' rights on certain issues like marijuana and guns when you aren't on other issues such as abortion?

The Rt Hon Dylan Macmillan MP

Prime Minister of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and First Lord of the Treasury

MP for Nuneaton

Well with marijuana, especially in Colorado. The voters voted for it. 55% of them voted for it. With guns, people voted for state representatives to make those stricter gun laws. 

When it comes to abortion i am in favor of states rights on that issue. Alabama has more restrictive laws then California. I disagree very, very strongly with Alabama’s laws but it’s their right to make those laws. 

AMNC Reporter Patrick Killien 

You are championing states’ rights, but you want to override the decisions of many states regarding their minimum wage laws. How do you square that circle?

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

A minimum wage increase is what the workers of this country desperately need. A single mother in Arkansas only gets $13 a day after other bills. A gradual minimum wage increase, like what we dems have proposed, will make wages 1, keep up with inflation and 2, make it so Americans eventually get to a living wage. These increased wages will then be used to spend more money in local, small businesses. This will, in turn, make them hire more workers. This is what both businesses and workers need. This is the boost our nation needs. That’s why I support the minimum wage increase.

Archived