Joint Appearance SmL Robert Powell and Senator Christina Tillman

Chris

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Senate Minority Leader Robert Powell (D-CO)

Hello Philly! How is everyone doing tonight? It is so great to be here in the city of brotherly love. Today I want to talk about two important races you’re going to be voting on come November, senate and president of the United States. 

Specifically I would like to talk to you about equal pay and paid family leave. So lets start first with equal pay, cause, the fact is, women are paid less than men. Women earn just $0.74 for every dollar a man makes. This is outrageous! People should not be paid less just because of their gender. This pay disparity has led to families having less money which dooms many more Americans into poverty. If you elect democrats to the senate this year, and if you vote for Christina Tillman for president, then we will eliminate this pay gap once and for all. But we will not stop there. We are going to finally ratify the Equal Rights Amendment. We will finally enshrine in the US constitution that men and women are equal!

Equal pay is not the only thing a blue majority will fight for though. We will finally pass the FAMILY Act and we will give american families paid family leave! I have child a child of my own, Jordan. I know how difficult it is to raise a child and I know that we should not be punishing families for this. All countries in the world except for 3 have paid family leave. Those countries are Papua New Guinea, Suriname, and sadly, the United States. Every other country has some for of paid leave. France, Russia, China, Brazil, Mexico, Iran; all of them. America is lagging behind. We must elect a democratic majority and we must send Senator Tillman to the White House so america can finally reclaim its place as a leader in how we treat families because, after all, the family is the most important part of america. We need to finally start treating it like such. 

So please, join me and my fellow Americans running for senate here and vote democrat so we can finally lift american families out of poverty and so we can protect the american family! Now, without further ado, please welcome your next president, Senator Christina Tillman!

Democratic Presidential Nominee Christina Tillman (D-CA)

Fly Eagles Fly! Philly it is great to be here with you. It was in this very city that Thomas Jefferson wrote those famous words. "“We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. " Yet, as an African-American female I know all too well the struggles of both my heritage and gender at achieving those rights. For nearly a century after those words were written African Americans were an enslaved race and it was not until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 were those rights fully protected. As a women it was not until the 1920 that we received the right to vote.  Equality has been a great struggle in our country's history. Tonight I am joined by Senate Minority Robert Powell to discuss a struggle that is facing our country today. That struggle is equal pay for equal work.  Women and minorities make drastically lower wages for doing the same work. This is a problem that has been occurring for decades and Republicans in Congress refuse to address this issue. That is why I am proud to announce that I will be introducing the Equal Rights Amendment into the United States Senate. This Amendment will level the playing field for all women and minorities across this country and I urge all my fellow representatives to pass it swiftly so that the states can ratify the amendment. 

We are also here tonight to talk about another workplace freedom and that is the work life balance. We have introduced legislation that creates a paid family leave program. As a parent it is vital that during the first weeks after child birth you be there for your child. Today there is no protection for those parents and many go unpaid as they bond with their newborn. This is just one of the thousands of examples of how this act will benefit the American people. We will also be putting forth legislation that allows for a set number of sick days each year for full time employees so when you are sick you can focus on bettering yourself rather than worrying about losing your job. We, as a nation, need to start putting families first. We need a system of equality. Let's create a system works for everyone. As President, I will support the American worker and American family unlike my opponents on the other side. The Republicans in the GOP primary are more concerned with legislation that gives tax relief for CEOs and Corporations than they are about your ability to put food on your tables. Fortunately for our country, leaders such as Senator Powell and I won't allow that to happen. Together we are stronger and a Tillman Administration will always put you, the American people first. With your support we can keep the corporate puppets out of the White House. 

0B6E32E2-E74E-489C-9297-0F4AF2319B51.jpeg.99b640adfd1fd7b72e3dc8630982799e.jpeg

Archived