Round 5 Announcements

Bruce

• Administrators

There will likely be minor tweaks up until we officially open, but the Round 5 Game Guide is now finished. You'll notice a few new game mechanics. I'm VERY excited about what we have to offer this round.

The House voting calculator is also now live. You'll notice that it's a LOT more nuanced than last round with a player's votes affecting NPCs not just in their own party but within their geographic region as well:

https://www.globalpoliticssim.com/forums/forum/364-voting-calculator/

• Administrators

I'll have dates attached before long, but here's a general idea of the timeline we're going to use for opening:

While we are officially beginning in 1789, we'll start the IC clock in 1788 to allow players to get their character(s) fully established and prepared for the 1st Congress. As you can tell from what's been posted already there's a lot of exciting things that players can do before Congress even begins, so backing up the IC clock would allow for this nicely. We will be fully simulating the election for the 1st Congress, but no other elections will be roleplayed from 1788. As you can imagine, this means that the first President will still be George Washington (roleplayed by @SWMissourian). Once we officially open for January 1789, you can expect each IC year to last approximately 2 weeks in RL. 

• Administrators

There is a rule change from previous rounds as announced in the Cash on Hand thread. This thread is this round's version of the warchest thread where admins post cash updates and where players can transfer cash to other characters. Unlike previous rounds, in this round only you are allowed to transfer money between your own characters without restriction (however Congress can restrict this with IC legislation). 

• Administrators

Good job to the folks introducing legislation in their state legislature. Since we're still in a soft launch for a couple more weeks, we'll hold off on debating them for a few days but keep it up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

The State Laws post has been updated for 1789 by adding in Governors and the Next Election column. All Governors are currently NPCs, but beginning with the 1790 the position is available to players who wish to run. 

• Administrators

Unless something extraordinary happens, @Terrus will be elected Speaker of the House in a few hours. I've gone ahead and given him the correct mod powers so that (if he's online at the time) he can get the 1st Congress started at any time after midnight eastern that is convenient for him. At the beginning the House does not even have any rules of procedure yet, so the Speaker is given a lot of leeway to run the House as he sees fit. 

• Administrators
7 hours ago, SWMissourian said:

Following a discussion on GPS's Discord, it has been decided that players shall take care of their own finances, with oversight from the Admin Board. 

Please make a thread in the Bank Accounts subforum, and keep track of your finances there. 

https://www.globalpoliticssim.com/forums/forum/373-bank-accounts/

• Administrators

To increase competitiveness and debate in state legislatures, we'll be making a fairly significant change:

There will be 3 regions at the current time:

• Northern States: CT, MA, NH, NY, RI
  • Central States: DE, MD, NJ, PA
  • Southern States: GA, NC, SC, VA

Each state will retain their separate 100 seat legislature, but debate or on state legislation will be open to all players from that region. Due to the proportional-ish voting we use to decide votes in the legislatures, the uniqueness of each state can still be protected. Additionally, whoever on the AB is running the legislature can make exceptions as they see fit. 

State elections (for Senators and Governors in some regions) will be conducted the same way, but only characters from that particular state can be considered. In this way, we maintain realistic representation in Congress while still allowing more debate and competitiveness for elections. 

Governors will, however, be elected on a regional basis. This is necessary because the Governor is the presiding officer of the legislature and also to address the personal fiefdom issue.

• Like 1

This Saturday, September 19, I will be auditing players' bank accounts to make sure they are up to date and accurate. Please make sure they are ready for that by that evening, when I will most likely be grading them. 

• Sad 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

• Administrators

The State Laws posts have been updated with the new OOC regional structure and any state legislation passed so far. You'll be interested to note the Governor and regional laws that have been added. This has also caused Congressional districts for the Northern states to need to be changed to single-member districts. All of this can still be changed by the players, I just tried to keep things interesting by having not every region the same. 

• Administrators

Acting-Superintendent of the United States *Henry Knox is asking all patriots to volunteer to lead troops in the Shawnee campaign. If interested, just contact me ( @Bruce ) and let me know which of your characters is willing. I'm hoping to get at least 3 officers in place by tomorrow (Tuesday) evening, so don't hesitate on this. Everyone who volunteers will receive a command on some level. 

• Administrators

Filing for the 1790 election closes on Monday, so if you intend to run for Congress or Governor be sure to post. I'm especially hoping to see all 3 governorships be filled by players. I know the filing fee is substantial (as the position is quite influential), so for the 1790 election I am waiving the filing fee for those running for Governor. If you've already paid it, go ahead and refund it to yourself in your bank account @Brown.

I’ll be auditing bank accounts Saturday evening, and the economic update and new newspaper readership points will come out either Saturday or Sunday as well, depending on what my schedule looks like. 

Make sure to plan accordingly!

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

• 3 weeks later...