Motion to Amend Senate Rules

Steven Andrews

Mr. President, I move to amend the Rules of the United States Senate as follows: 

(k) CLOTURE -- Cloture is required to end debate on a bill. Cloture is a motion created by a member to end debate, and requires a second. The motion shall be set to a vote for forty-eight (48) hours, and requires 3/5 of all Senators (60 senators) to pass. Once cloture has passed on a bill, the bill can proceed to a full vote. Cloture can only be attempted twice on any given bill. If a cloture vote fails both times on a bill while being debated, it will be considered killed and can no longer be considered by the floor. Provided that, if a bill has been present on the floor for not less than seventy-two (72) hours without either debate being offered or an amendment being moved and seconded, cloture may be moved with a simple majority of all Senators in favor.

PES: Requires Senators wishing to filibuster a bill to actually make a token effort to actually filibuster the bill rather than just being able to "run the clock" on the bill or make spurious motions for cloture.

Andrew Byrd (and family), Virginia

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. President,
I stand in full recognition of the right, responsibility, and tradition of the United States Senate as the greatest debating chamber in the world.  I stand in recognition of our right to debate legislation without hard limits on times.  But I also stand in opposition to the modern practice of a passive-aggressive filibuster that is, on occasion, turning us from the greatest debating body in the world into the most prestigious zen meditation chamber in the world.  If a party or group wants to delay the passage of a bill, I do not think it is unreasonable to ask for a bare-bones token effort in doing so.

((To speak in favor of this, from an OOC perspective the cloture jam is probably a bit too strong as it allows the minority to stop a bill dead simply by voting against it and doing nothing else (not even showing up to chew gum at the front of the chamber).  At the same time that seems to make the operative filibuster utterly pointless.  From an IC perspective...well, IRL the nuclear option did get dropped on judges and every-so-often ditching the filibuster does come up.  I don't think that the IC or OOC precedent is something that can't be borne, though I don't have a problem with the admins reviewing any changes to Senate rules to make sure we're not running riot.  For the record, I intentionally crafted the change as being relatively narrow...the only real effect that I think it has is stopping "no-show" filibusters.))

((The Minority still has the right to filibuster, but they actually have to filibuster under the amendment. They can’t just have the de facto filibuster when they decide to not invoke cloture and forget about the bill. Also, Ward screams whenever an amendment is made to make bills better-even if done so under good faith and intentions and spawned under reasoned debate-so I don’t think he has any place to come from when he says “bring a better bill”. And besides, that argument is disingenuous. The bills we bring forward are good; they aren’t structured poorly nor do they have a catastrophic grammatical issue. They aren’t debating over details. They’re debating over the macro aims of the bill. They don’t share the same values or goals. It isn’t “bring a better bill”, it’s “surrender all those goals for which you were elected”.))

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

((Also, in this game, it is almost impossible to flip moderates because of the IVS. In real life, Republicans would approach Senators like Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema when debate begins over concealed carry reciprocity. But when there are only establishment or radical Democratic players, all of their caucus are like that. It’s a similar story for the Dems if they win the majority in any election. You can’t convince that one guy who won in a fluke in Massachusetts or the woman who is moderate despite representing Alaska. There are no Murkowski’s or Collins’s. Furthermore, the RL Senate has vehicles for avoiding cloture, like how reconciliation was used to pass the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017. We don’t use the real Senate rules for sake of gameplay, so we don’t have those vehicles.))

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

(If you aren't getting support for your bills, then its your job to change them to make them more appealing or to try and cut a deal with people on the other side. Its not our job to see it from your point of view.)

Senator Tyler O'Malley (D-WI)

1 minute ago, Rusty Russ said:

(If you aren't getting support for your bills, then its your job to change them to make them more appealing or to try and cut a deal with people on the other side. Its not our job to see it from your point of view.)

((Another disingenuous argument. We do try and have tried. Y’all are not willing to compromise at all. You’ve offered no signal that you are. Dogslife did once when he offered the abortion funding bill amendment. I was prepared to accept it if that meant he would vote for it. He then proceeded to dodge that question, which would suggest that he wouldn’t have voted for it anyway. You’re supposed to be a moderate, but the only thing that has affected was you changing your vote to present, which in that case was effectively a “no” vote. No one here wants to role play a moderate, thus there’s no way to actually negotiate or persuade. A Senator from MA or CA isn’t voting for Reciprocity no matter what, because they are from uber-liberal coastal states. But they speak for the entire party, when at this point the Democrats still have Heitkamp, McCaskill, Donnelly, Manchin, etc.))

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

((In Ward and Russ’s mind, apparently there is a way to structure Medicare-for-all in a way as to get Republican votes. There isn’t. Democrats, similarly, would never vote for Social Security privatization. Plus, even when there is a way, we can’t find out that way because they don’t offer amendments or reasoning. Russ doesn’t ever show up to debate, and say something like,”Yeah, I COULD support that, but this is too far/worded incorrectly. If we take this part out/reword it, then it has my support.” Ward just shows up to debate and whines like a toddler whenever Benson makes an amendment instead of actually debating the pros and cons. Dogslife teases with amendments that won’t even get his support for the bill. Y’all aren’t interested in modifying the bill to become better or being persuaded to support it as is. Don’t pretend as if you are.))

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

13 minutes ago, CWard said:

(In other words, we aren’t just letting you get your wins and so now you want to change the rules in the middle of the game)

((You can still filibuster us, but you have to actually try.))

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Archived