Fitzgerald Proposes New Security Measures

TexAgRepublican

Iowa

Howdy! Thank you for that warm welcome. How about that win at the straw poll? Thank you so much for your support. But like I said on twitter, there is still a long way to go.

Today I want to talk to you about terrorism and national security. I think we’ve been going about this the wrong way. For many years, our strategy has been putting American troops in harms way across the globe in places like Iraq and Afghanistan to kill terrorists and prop up regime change. The logic there is that we have to fight them in the Middle East so that we don’t have to fight them here in Iowa. And I understand that logic, but I think we can do better. I mean, look at the results of the War on Terror since 9/11. Thousands of men and women killed in action. Many more irreversibly harmed, either physically or mentally. We’ve spent trillions of dollars on these wars, too. That’s one of the reasons our deficit is out of control – these wars are so expensive to maintain. The end of this year will mark fifteen years of combat in Afghanistan. Fifteen years, folks. How many more years are we supposed to be over there? How many more trillions of taxpayer dollars are we supposed to spend? We killed Osama Bin Laden five years ago. What’s going on? What is the Obama Administration doing?

I think there’s a better strategy. Instead of playing “world police” and sending thousands more men and women to the Middle East to fight and die for another fifteen years for another few trillion dollars, why don’t we focus on just protecting our own country from terrorists trying to get in? We should start with the obvious solutions. First, we need to construct a biometric exit-entry system. Our government was supposed to do this several years ago, but it never got done. Second, we need to build a wall on the southern border with Mexico. Most people think this is necessary to stop illegal immigration, and it is. But it’s also important to stop terrorists. Several terrorists have been caught trying to enter the U.S. through Mexico in the past few years – and those are just the ones we managed to catch. We don’t even know who might have slipped through the cracks, and that’s why we need a border wall. And third, we have to do something about refugees and immigrants from Syria, Iraq and other places in the Middle East that are compromised by terrorism. A terrorist could enter our country disguised as a refugee, and I’m not convinced the Obama Administration is doing everything it can to vet these people. That’s why as President, I would suspend immigration completely from countries like Iraq and Syria that are compromised by terrorism. Then, I will put the ball in Congress’ court. I would give them the opportunity to pass legislation to put in place better procedures for extreme vetting of these individuals. Until that happens, I wouldn’t lift the ban. Hopefully, it would be a very temporary measure. But it’s one that I’m willing to take to keep you and your family safe. 

Instead of sending thousands of American troops and trillions of your tax dollars overseas to other countries, let’s instead focus on keeping our own country safe and secure. Right now, we have gaping holes in our security infrastructure. We need to plug those holes before we think about committing more troops and treasure overseas. Thank you again for your support, and God bless America!

Former President Kyle Fitzgerald

Three-Time Republican Nominee

Nobel Peace Prize Winner

Archived