Round 4 Announcements

Bruce

• Administrators

Rule changes Overview

• Admins are now held to the same activity requirements as player leaders (7 days without posting).
  • We're going back to having a character and PR database. It's by far proven to be more popular for players and admins. If we see the same glitchy issues as on the other boards, we may have to reconsider. But for now, I'm happy to be back to that system.
  • We've done away with player media opportunities. This round, IC news is player written and can be influenced through player Press Releases.
  • At the end of the year, we're going to be doing annual approval ratings (unless you were just (re)elected, of course) and lobbyist scorecards to provide player feedback.

It is important to remember that mid-session campaign schedules are due tomorrow! What are these? Well, a mid-session schedule is basically a schedule you’ve submitted of some campaigning you’ve done while Congress is in session. Usually, people use these to get a lead on fundraising. You have 4 hours in your schedule, so you can do two fundraisers. These are vital to successful parties and candidates—it’s basically free money. If the parties want to put up their best fight next year, as many players as possible will need to submit these schedules. I usually fill them out like so: 

“Michael Madison (R-MO): 
Fundraiser (TX) - 2 hours 
Fundraiser (NY) - 2 hours”

These are due at 11:59pm EST tomorrow, so remember to get them in!

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

The AB has gotten some questions about how to hold your own events. To do this, you would have to do it in a Press Release for full credit. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

• 4 weeks later...

Between May 6 and May 15, players will be able to submit to me appeals to Virginian Republicans and Democrats on the abortion bill, which you can find here.

These appeals will influence the final vote on the bill in 2020 in both chambers of the VA General Assembly (and each party's prospects for the state's legislature). All are due by May 15 at 11:59 pm EST. Please submit to me via PM on the boards. Thanks!

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

The original plan for the budget was to have players pass it as normal for the next fiscal year, which would be late 2020 to late 2021. However, I’ve had some players come to me and ask if we could allow the new President to determine the budgets. This would come at no penalty to any player or party. It would be as if a budget was signed for this year, and the new administration, be it Republican or Democratic, would get to determine the budget for FY 2022, or late 2021 to late 2022. 

How do you think we should do the budget?

Please vote and discuss here: 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

• 2 weeks later...

Several players have approached me and the AB about the policy regarding election multis. Currently, players are only allowed to run one election per cycle. That means that if your main character isn’t up for re-election, then you can run an alternate character in a different Senate election. If your main character is up for re-election, then you will have to stick with only their race. Other games have done this differently, and players have asked if we can change this. After a lot of thought and consideration, I’ve decided that we will not be changing that policy for the 2020 election. 

This is done largely for game balance purposes. Putting too many characters in the play floods the game with money and also opens up the possibility for players to farm candidates in safe states for money. That, along with other concerns, led me to conclude that we should stick with one election per player in 2020. If you run unopposed by another player character, the other party will submit schedules for a weaker NPC candidate as always. 

However, I am considering changing this policy for 2022 since it is a midterm year. I will let you know how we will proceed with that at a later date. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

After players brought up several concerns and ideas regarding the 2020 Senate elections, again we have deliberated and discussed a lot on the AB. Firstly, we are still not allowing multiple Senate election multis. Players are still limited to one character per election cycle. However, we have made one change regarding NPCs. This idea was originally proposed by GrayAnderson @Steven Andrews, so credit to him. 

There will now be a couple of NPC vs. NPC only Senate races in during this cycle. This means that the AB will choose some competitive states that don't have player character candidates to directly simulate the election with NPCs. These NPCs, like the ones opposing player characters, will be controlled by the respective party chairs (or whoever the party appoints to control them) as well as any alternate that person should delegate (as long as such alternate choice is made clear to the AB). 

So, here it is all nice and put together: 

1. Players will have the opportunity to sign in one election multi if their main character is not all ready up for re-election in 2020. You can choose any state you wish. Players can run against each other. If a player runs unopposed by another player, their opponent will be an NPC controlled by the opposite party (as described above). NPCs are weaker candidates because, though they have the same attribute cap (a change from the first round, as NPCs were way too underpowered), they can not utilize social media or press releases, which makes player characters stronger candidates. 

2. After the players have picked their races, the AB will choose states* for NPC vs. NPC races. These NPCs will be controlled the same as the ones running against player characters. Either the party chair or some other party designee will be in charge, and they can delegate specific races to others if necessary, so long as that delegation is made clear to the AB. 

3. Fundraising rule for NPCs: parties/players can only draw as much money from NPC races as they have put in. Using an NPC to farm cash for player and/or Presidential races is forbidden. However, NPC funds can be transferred between different NPC candidates, to allow for some flexibility for the party.

*The exact number of which is yet to be determined. We don't want to overwhelm party chairs, but we also want to keep pickup opportunities open. After we see how many player races and NPCs will be going on, we will choose how many NPC only races to run. 

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Good luck to all of the Senate candidates that signed up! Currently, we have several races with players, including ones in Arizona, Montana, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Minnesota, and Virginia. No players are running head to head, unfortunately, but that makes for a more spread out and interesting map. I look forward to seeing the campaigns and the outcomes from these races. 

Now, I know y'all are excited to see the NPC-only races. They will be held in Alabama, Colorado, Iowa, and New Hampshire (color-coded to the incumbent's party). The parties will be provided with NPC candidates for each race with different attributes. They will be able to choose one to run as their main candidate. 

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Changes have been made to the election schedule. We pushed back convention due dates a couple of days, along with the due date for turn 1. This was to allow players and admins alike more breathing room as the general election looms. Good luck to everyone! 

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize, but once more, I will be modifying the Election Schedule. Due to real life time constraints on members of the AB as well as an unexpectedly heavy workload from the election, the current schedule is too crunched. I will be stretching out the turns another day. This will give the AB and players alike more breathing room. Once more, I apologize for any inconvenience this causes, but if the game is to continue running smoothly, this is necessary. 

Here is the new election calendar: 

June 9: Turn 2 (20 hours)
June 12: Turn 3 (20 hours)
June 15: Turn 4 (20 hours)
June 18: Turn 5 (20 hours)
June 19-20: Election Day Results
June 21: Inauguration

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to @TexAgRepublican and @Brown on their victory, and congratulations on a well-fought campaign to @Choronzon and @FrankP

The House makeup has been determined. There will be 221 Democrats and 214 Republicans, so despite narrowing the gap, Democrats will be keeping the Speaker's Gavel. On a similar note, I have additional announcements regarding Congress. Since the roster is very lopsided right now, the AB will be bolstering the ranks of the Democratic Party by RPing certain NPC Senators for the time being. This is purely in the interest of keeping the reset going and activity up. Once more Democrats sign in, this will be phased out. 

Also, it was pointed out that Democrats @Jewell and @Anthony broke FEC rules by a) attempting to give more than 40% of Anthony's warchest to b) Anthony's Senate multi. The punishment is that both Jewell and Anthony's characters (including whichever one Anthony keeps) will be fined by the FEC (20% of the attempted donation, so $2,484,000) and only the valid amount of the original transfer will go through. 

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

• 1 month later...

It is with both sadness and gratitude that I announce the end of GPS Round 4. Round 4 was an exciting reset, characterized largely by Republican triumph and dominance towards the end. The Democrats started off as a lively party, but unfortunately, they petered off towards the end. Ultimately, it was a very fun round, but it is clearly dead after being on life support for quite awhile. I am grateful for the opportunity to have CA’d this round. 

A big congratulations to @TexAgRepublican on his election victory and very successful Presidency! 

Now, to Round 5. Details to come shortly!

• Like 1

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2