Motion to Suspend the Rules and Debate

Dogslife

Mr. President,

The Democrats are not in the majority. They need to stop acting like they are. 

I yield. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

Mr. President,

If we did not propose legislation or work to advance it, there would be no leadership in this chamber. Perhaps the Senator from Missouri should do the job his constituents elected him to do or resign.

I yield.

Senator Tyler O'Malley (D-WI)

18 minutes ago, Rusty Russ said:

Mr. President,

If we did not propose legislation or work to advance it, there would be no leadership in this chamber. Perhaps the Senator from Missouri should do the job his constituents elected him to do or resign.

I yield.

Mr. President, 

I believe the Senator from Wisconsin is very highly confused. The sort of state of confusion where you have to look around and collect yourself for a minute. The Senator from Missouri was pointing out that to allow these votes to suspend to continue sets a very bad precedent. The majority sets the docket. The minority is absolutely free to introduce bills, but they are docketed at the discretion of the majority. If you write a good bill, the majority leader may docket it. I urge the gentleman to take a deep breath, and collect himself. 

I yield. 

joesig.jpg.20a565c2f4251ca06d0b73a73e6ac71b.jpg

Republican of Florida

Press Office | Twitter

HA!

Mr. President this is frankly funny. The majority is basically saying "oh yeah you can introduce bills, but if you try to get us to vote for them then that's going too far." 

Get real. Were United States Senators. Our job is to pass laws that help the country and our constituents. If you don't like us doing it just because we have a "D" next to our name, then you don't deserve to be in this chamber.

I yield.

William C. Motter D-CO-02 (Boulder, Fort Collins, Broomfield)

1 minute ago, Dogslife said:

HA!

Mr. President this is frankly funny. The majority is basically saying "oh yeah you can introduce bills, but if you try to get us to vote for them then that's going too far." 

Get real. Were United States Senators. Our job is to pass laws that help the country and our constituents. If you don't like us doing it just because we have a "D" next to our name, then you don't deserve to be in this chamber.

I yield.

Mr. President, 

In response to the gentleman from Colorado... What is going to far is to bring bills to the floor without the proper precedent. That is the issue here. If he wants to get us to vote for his bills.... obtain the majority, docket your bills, and debate them with us.... OR write a decent bill that can be rightfully brought to the floor by the majority. We are not arguing the minorities' ability to introduce and debate bills, we are saying to follow precedent and do it the right way for the sake of keeping the stability of this institution in tact. 

I yield. 

Republican of Florida

Press Office | Twitter

Mr. President, 

The only time suspension of rules is in order is when a bill is accepted without objection by both parties to move it forward quicker. If this is not the case, the RULES must be followed.. and NOT be suspended because it is those RULES that make this body what it is. 

I yield. 

Republican of Florida

Press Office | Twitter

Mr. President,

Last time I checked, this way of getting a debate on bills is 100% within the rules of the senate. And my point still stands, right now you're trying to block bills from even getting a debate much less passing. If you're a united states senate and you don't want other senators doing their jobs just because they have a "D" next to their name, then why the heck are you here? We were elected to be bipartisan and to get things done for this great country. It doesn't matter if we're in the minority, if there is a bill, like this one to make our elections fair and to stop the practice of basically cheating, both sides should come together and pass it unanimously.

And to your point of if the tables were turned, we're adults, we don't get all upset and cry when the other side of the aisle tries to do their jobs. If the bill is bipartisan, like the Naloxone Accessibility Act I co-sponsored that a republican sponsored, then we'd pass it. We would debate and vote on the merits of the bill, not debate and vote on if the minority should be able to do their jobs. 

Mr. President, the majority just doesn't want the minority to have any power whatsoever. They want all of it to themselves and if we try, if we even barely attempt to do our jobs, they start throwing a fit and saying we're breaking the senate if we try to do our jobs. 

I've said it again and ill say it again, if you don't like us doing our jobs as United States Senators just because we have a "D" next to our name, then why the heck are you here.

I yield

2 minutes ago, Dogslife said:

Mr. President,

Last time I checked, this way of getting a debate on bills is 100% within the rules of the senate. And my point still stands, right now you're trying to block bills from even getting a debate much less passing. If you're a united states senate and you don't want other senators doing their jobs just because they have a "D" next to their name, then why the heck are you here? We were elected to be bipartisan and to get things done for this great country. It doesn't matter if we're in the minority, if there is a bill, like this one to make our elections fair and to stop the practice of basically cheating, both sides should come together and pass it unanimously.

And to your point of if the tables were turned, we're adults, we don't get all upset and cry when the other side of the aisle tries to do their jobs. If the bill is bipartisan, like the Naloxone Accessibility Act I co-sponsored that a republican sponsored, then we'd pass it. We would debate and vote on the merits of the bill, not debate and vote on if the minority should be able to do their jobs. 

Mr. President, the majority just doesn't want the minority to have any power whatsoever. They want all of it to themselves and if we try, if we even barely attempt to do our jobs, they start throwing a fit and saying we're breaking the senate if we try to do our jobs. 

I've said it again and ill say it again, if you don't like us doing our jobs as United States Senators just because we have a "D" next to our name, then why the heck are you here.

I yield

Mr. President, 

It is not "within the rules" hence why the rules must be suspended.... if it was within the rules the Senator would not need to keep asking us to forgo them at his frequent request. A bill might be bipartisan, and not be without objection. In that case, it needs to be filed and docketed within the rules. It is not that the majority doesn't WANT the minority to have power, it is that the minority simply DOESN'T have power. If they did, they would not need to suspend the rules constantly. The Senator can do his job. His job is to submit legislation and wait for it to be properly docketed. That is his job. Until his party gains the majority, that will remain his job. 

I yield. 

Republican of Florida

Press Office | Twitter

Oh i see Mr. President,

My job is to sit quietly and not make a fuss. Sit still look pretty. 

Well that's not ok with me. It's not ok that the GOP has absolute power. Its not ok with me that the GOP is saying that, even though we were elected, we're not allowed to do our jobs. Just sit still look pretty. We have power. We were elected. If the gentleman from Illinois does not like it then that's too darn bad. We're here and we will keep fighting for the American people whether the republicans like it or not. 

I yield.

Oh i see Mr. President,

My job is to sit quietly and not make a fuss. Sit still look pretty. 

Well that's not ok with me. It's not ok that the GOP has absolute power. Its not ok with me that the GOP is saying that, even though we were elected, we're not allowed to do our jobs. Just sit still look pretty. We have power. We were elected. If the gentleman from Illinois does not like it then that's too darn bad. We're here and we will keep fighting for the American people whether the republicans like it or not. 

I yield.

Mr. President, 

The gentleman can fight for the American people under the rules of the senate without suspending them. If he doesn't like the rules, "that's too darn bad." The gentleman has power. He has the power to introduce bills and wait until they are docketed by the appropriate authority. 

I yield. 

Republican of Florida

Press Office | Twitter

Mr. President,

This method of suspending the rules is in the rules of the senate. Section IV Subsection b clause 2.

We will continue to introduce bills to help the American people. We will continue to try to get votes and debate on them. If the majority doesn't want them to pass, then they can show their true colors to the American people.

I yield

Mr. President,

This method of suspending the rules is in the rules of the senate. Section IV Subsection b clause 2.

We will continue to introduce bills to help the American people. We will continue to try to get votes and debate on them. If the majority doesn't want them to pass, then they can show their true colors to the American people.

I yield

Mr. President, 

I understand the ability to suspend is within the rules... but that's not what the Senator said. He said "This way of getting a debate" is within the rules. If you could get a debate that way within the rules, they wouldn't need to be suspended. I am unsure where the Senator believes he is going to find 67 senators to keep suspending rules on these types of bills. Maybe he will pull them out of the air as to seems to be the case with his facts. 

I yield. 

Republican of Florida

Press Office | Twitter

Mr. President,

I wish I could get 100 members of the body to abolish cheating in our elections and to let voters choose politicians, not the other way around. I also wished that the gentleman from Illinois would want to vote to abolish gerrymandering but I guess not.

I hope at least 67 members agree that cheating is wrong. I know all Democrats will vote for this bill. So balls in your court republicans, are you going to take a stand against cheating or are you going to keep up this hyper-partisanship because you don’t want to lose?

I yield.

Mr. President,

It is the job of the Majority Leader to set the docket. If the Minority wants their bills docketed, they should either write good, bipartisan bills or broker a deal with Leader Fitzgerald. Better yet, they can win the majority themselves. 

I yield. 

Christopher Drake

Republican, NY-2

Speaker of the United States House of Representatives

Former Chief Administrator - Rounds 4 & 5, Evil Arch-Conservative, Frequent Republican Player

So mr President, 

The true colors of the gop are shown. Apparently they don’t think that getting rid of gerrymandering is bipartisan or good for America. They’re fine with politicians choosing voters and voters votes not mattering. 

I for one think that we should be putting the power in the people’s hands. Letting voters choose their elected officials. Letting whoever won more votes get more seats. 

If the majority doesn’t like that, then it looks like they’re out of step with the 73% of Americans who do.

I yield

• Nubbie locked this topic

Archived